Are you looking for a great American made floor jack for your garage? Have you purchased one in the past that just didn’t fit the bill for what you were looking for?
In this article, we’ll tell you just what you should look for in a quality jack, and what questions to ask yourself while you’re looking for one. Not all jacks are created equal, so it’s important to know what you’ll be using it for before you start shopping.
By the end of this article, you should have some solid choices to compare to make the right decision for your budget and your needs.
What to Look for in a Floor Jack
When shopping for a floor jack, you first need to ask yourself a few questions:
- Weight capacity: The floor jack you buy should have a weight capacity high enough for the heaviest vehicle you plan to lift.
- Maximum lift: A jack that can lift a car 20 inches high should be sufficient for most jobs. However, there are exceptions to this, like if a vehicle has large tires or a lifted body.
- Minimum height: Some vehicles are extremely low to the ground. In that case, you’ll want a jack that can squeeze under the low riding frame.
- Platform size: Choose a wide or narrow platform depending on the type of vehicle and chassis you’ll be dealing with.
- Material type: Steel or aluminum? What’s the difference? Aluminum weighs a lot less, so you can transport it easily. Are you heading to the racetrack on the regular? Aluminum will be the way to go. Meanwhile, steel usually lasts longer, but it’s heavier. Therefore, it’s an excellent choice for your garage.
Now that we cleared some things out, let’s get on to our list!
5 Best American Made Floor Jacks – Review
1. Hein-Werner Heavy Duty Service Jack (HW93652)
The first floor jack on our list is the Hein-Werner Heavy Duty Service Jack. The jack has a cast iron lift arm and a pump base for added strength. Moreover, its U-Joint offers precision control, while the wider frame with flanged side plates adds stability.
The Hein-Werner jack is heavy-duty. However, that also means that it’s quite heavy, weighing in at 110 lbs. It has a three-ton load capacity, a 5″ minimum lift height, and a 23 ½ max lift height. The saddle diameter is 6 ¾ inches, and wheel to wheel width is 11 ¾ inches.
- Comes with a two-year warranty
- High quality
- Sealed hydraulic pump supports long-lasting use
The Hein-Werner heavy-duty jack offers high-quality parts that should stand the test of time. The two-year warranty is a big plus as well. If you can afford it and its size fits your needs, get this one!
2. Arcan 3-Ton Quick Rise Aluminum Floor Jack with Dual Pump Pistons & Reinforced Lifting Arm (ALJ3T / A20018)
The next floor jack on our list is the Arcan 3-Ton Quick Rise Aluminum Floor Jack. This jack is made with aluminum, so it is lightweight and easy to move around. Throw it in the back of the car and take it to the track with ease.
Furthermore, it comes with dual pump piston action that lets you raise the saddle quickly. The side-mounted handle also makes positioning a breeze. It also has a reinforced lift arm for added strength and durability.
The Arcan 3-Ton floor jack weighs 58 pounds and has a three-ton load capacity. Furthermore, it has a 3.63″ minimum and a 19.38″ max lift height, making it suitable for lower cars and high-clearance trucks.
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Lightweight for easy moving
- Comes with a two-piece handle for easy storage
- Not super high quality
- Price is still in the mid-range
An excellent choice if you need to haul the jack around a lot. It’s designed to be portable and easy to use with its dual pump piston action and two-piece side-mounted handle.
Read our in-depth review of the Arcan ALJ3T 3-Ton Aluminum Floor Jack here!
3. Blackhawk Fast Lift Service Jack (B6350)
Up next is the Blackhawk Fast Lift Service Jack, a jack that is a bit heavier duty than the last one on the list. Moreover, the saddle comes with a swivel feature for easy positioning and a universal joint allows for precise load control.
The Blackhawk jack weighs 58 pounds. It has a three and half-ton load capacity, and a lifting range from 5 ⅛ inches to 21 ½ inches. The saddle diameter on this one comes in at 4 ⅜ inches.
Read our in-depth review of the Blackhawk B6350 Fast Lift Service Jack here!
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Heavier load capacity at 3.5 tons
- Too tall to fit under low profile vehicles
This jack seems like a fabulous all-around choice if you don’t have a low-profile vehicle. It is also heavy-duty and can handle a bigger than average load, all coming in under $200.
4. Pittsburgh Automotive Heavy Duty Ultra Low Profile Steel Floor Jack with Rapid Pump Quick Lift
The Pittsburgh Automotive Heavy Duty Ultra Low Profile Steel Floor Jack is a super heavy-duty item, featuring an industrial-grade finish.
Moreover, the Pittsburgh jack boasts quality that will satisfy professionals and hardcore enthusiasts. The latter will definitely be happy with the super-low profile, which is great for low-clearance cars.
Meanwhile, the jack has a Rapid Pump system with a dual parallel pump, guaranteeing quick lift with a lot less effort.
This jack weighs 75 pounds, while also having a three-ton load capacity. The lifting range starts at 2.75 inches and finishes at 19.75 inches, while the saddle diameter is 4.25 inches.
Read our in-depth review of the Pittsburgh 3 Ton Low Profile Floor Jack here!
- Super low profile
- Industrial strength professional-grade manufacturing
- No warranty
This jack is well-made and will fit a wide range of vehicles. Coming in well under $200, the price and the quality are well worth it. However, this one doesn’t seem to come with any kind of manufacturer’s warranty, so keep that in mind before you buy.
5. JEGS Professional Low-Profile Aluminum Floor Jack (80077)
Last but not least is the JEGS Professional Low-Profile Aluminum Floor Jack made from lightweight professional-grade aluminum.
The low profile frame allows use for lowered cars, while the wide-track wheels make positioning a breeze, especially when used in conjunction with the side handles.
The JEGS floor jack weighs 58 pounds and has a three-ton load capacity. The lifting range is between 3.5 inches and 19.25 inches, while the saddle diameter is 4 9/16 inches.
- Super low profile
- Professional grade manufacturing
- It comes with a lifetime warranty!
- On the mid-high price range at $250
This jack boasts professional-grade manufacturing and is suitable for lowered cars. Besides, a lifetime warranty is not something to brush off, so keep that in mind! The JEGS floor jack is both reliable and durable.
We hope that this article helped you compare some good quality floor jacks, and you can now move forward with an educated choice while shopping. Of course, this is not an exhaustive list and there might be several other suitable models out there. With that being said, always keep in mind the points explained above and always take a minute to reflect on your needs and budget before buying a jack. Nothing is worst than getting back home and figuring out that the jack you just bought doesn’t fit under your car or simply doesn’t fit your needs.