Update: The good folks at STKR saw our article and sent a TRiLIGHT to us for a closer look. We made a full review of TRiLIGHT from Striker, please visit our complete review here.
For decades, the vast majority of home builders have been installing insufficient, low-quality lighting in residential garages. The typical 400-600 square foot two-car garage will have a single E26 socket nearby or next to another single or maybe dual-bulb setup built into the garage door opener. With cars, tool boxes, and other stuff inside, those crappy lights create terrible shadows that make the space even darker. Bleh!
There are a gazillion different lighting solutions available for the garage or workshop—LED, fluorescent or otherwise—but one that has our attention is the TRiLIGHT from Striker.
See Also: 7 Best Garage Lightings
The TRiLIGHT simply screws into a standard E26 socket and each of the three LED blades can be adjusted up, down or side-to-side to cast light where you need it most. If you don’t have a light bulb socket in your ceiling but do have an electrical outlet (next to the garage door opener, for example) you could buy a plug-in converter to turn that outlet into a light bulb socket, although most are not UL certified.
Combined, the 72 LEDs produce 4,000 lumens at 5,400K (near-daylight), while consuming just 24-watts. For comparison, traditional bulbs produce about 800 lumens of light and burn 60 watts or more.
The TRiLIGHT also has built-in 360° microwave motion sensing, so the lights will only turn on when motion is detected and will automatically turn off after around 90 seconds of not detecting motion. Microwave motion detection is extremely sensitive and can even penetrate walls, so false positives may or may not be an issue.
The downside for some to the cool looking and super-bright TRiLIGHT: the price tag. It is a bit expensive for what it is and what it does. But consider the alternative of buying everything separately to get to the same or very similar specs and functionality:
- For about $10, you could get an adaptor to turn a single E26 socket into three.
- For about $5 each, you could get three good 15-watt 1,500-lumen LED bulbs.
- For about $18, you could add motion detection to all three sockets to create near 360° motion detection.
Okay, it’s cheaper to DIY for similar results. The TriLight consumes much less watts than any DIY setup.
Still, we really like the concept, look, efficiency and functionality of the TRiLIGHT.
- DESIGNED AND TESTED BY STKR CONCEPTS - A USA COMPANY. BEWARE OF INFERIOR AND POTENTIALLY...
- Installation is as easy as screwing in a light bulb!
- 4000 true lumens! 5 times the brightness of a 60 watt bulb!
- Energy efficient. Only draws 24 watts of power = money saving technology
- New Upgraded Motion Sensor! New microwave motion sensor detects the slightest motion. This...
Here’s a video promo for the TRiLIGHT from Striker: