Like all other areas of a building, the garage also requires periodic maintenance. The floor coating of a garage can give it a new look. There are two options available for the owners. They can engage professional coating services for the job. But this could be fairly expensive. The other way is to resort to the do-it-yourself (DIY) method as an economic alternative. The question is whether it is possible to use garage floor coating DIY.
Is it Possible to Do Garage Floor Coating DIY?
The expenses of using professional services for garage floor coatings are going up consistently. Also; the use of such services is also restricted to the break out of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus. Most people are looking for a cost-effective alternative. The most potential alternative is carrying out the coating with the DIY method. It is possible using this alternative. However, you have to know about the relevant aspects before resorting to the garage floor coating DIY. Learning these aspects can make the project successful in a cost and effort-economic manner.
The Popularity of Epoxy Garage Floor Coating DIY
The type of coating you apply to your garage floor can have a major bearing on the outcome.
- Metallic garage floor epoxy is a great choice for using DIY methods
- Epoxy coating can transform the drab-looking garage floor to look vibrant and inviting
- It is best in terms of appearance and durability
- The coating is cost-effective and easy to use
Preliminary Steps Required When Epoxy Coating Your Garage Floor
Following are the steps for epoxy garage floor coating DIY.
- Plan out your project before implementation
- Decide on the composition of your DIY kit
- Keep all the tools handy for work
- Thoroughly clean out the garage floor before coating
- See what is required for repairing a garage floor
- Apply the first coat and allow it to dry up completely
- Apply the second coat to generate a finished look
DIY Garage Floor Coating
When you decide to coat your garage floor on your own; the following steps are needed.
- The floor must be thoroughly cleaned
- Before applying epoxy or polyurea garage floor coating, the garage should be emptied
- Keep the garage empty for 48 hours allowing the coat to dry up
- Sweep the garage to remove dust and dirt before applying the coat
- Remove oil spills and paints
- You should apply 2 coats to get durable results
Applying the First Coat
You must keep your garage completely dry. It is essential while coating the metallic epoxy garage floor. You can use a floor buffing machine for drying out the floor. Thereafter; you can move on to applying the first coat of epoxy to the garage floor.
For sustenance; you can use solvent-based epoxy coating with greater bonding capabilities. Start with a small part initially for garage floor coating DIY using a brush and a roller. If the result is satisfactory then you can move on to coat the remaining part of the floor.
Applying the Second Coat
Once you have finished applying the first coat the following steps should be taken by you.
- Allow the first coat to dry overnight
- Like the first coat apply the second coat in small sections
- This way, you will be able to generate a complete look for the garage floor
- It will be the same for the metallic epoxy garage floor or any other type
Check the Floor Surface Before Coating
The most important part of taking up the garage floor coating DIY is thoroughly checking the floor to be coated. Due to prolonged use, the floor might have developed cracks. Allowing the cracks in the garage floor can have adverse impacts. The coats applied may not give the desired appearance to the floor.
Types of Cracks in the Garage Floor
Different types of cracks in the garage floor can develop with time. Common types of cracks are as follows.
- Chips and dents
- Traditional cracks in the floor
- Expansion joints
Dealing with Garage Floor Cracks
To address the issues relating to the cracks in the garage floors the common material is a self-leveling sealer. In addition; you will also need a grinder and sandpaper for applying the sealer. Keep note of the fact that you need to check and repair all types of cracks in the floor. This is important when you are implementing a garage floor coating DIY project. In any case; filling out any crack is vital for proper coating of the floor. However well maintained a garage might be, at some point in time cracks will appear. You cannot coat a cracked floor. Therefore; crack repair is essential. Also; the existing cracks can prevent the bonding of coats applied difficult.
Garage Floor Repair with DIY Method
Many garage owners think garage floor repair is a difficult task. They think that it can only be carried out by professional experts. This is a wrong concept. The cracks can be easily repaired using the DIY method unless they are huge. If you are a little watchful then you can easily take care of any crack that appears on the garage floor early. This will open up the avenues for effective garage floor coating DIY.
The bottom line of all these is that it is quite possible going for the garage floor coating DIY. You have to trade with due care and caution while preparing the surface for coating. Taking care to address small repair works like sealing a crack in the garage floor makes the process much easier. Once this is accomplished, the rest of the process automatically follows.