Back in the 1970s, we lived on an acre of land in South Florida. Before my parents trusted me with a go-kart, I would jet around the backyard on dad’s riding mower. One day, I drove it into our swimming pool. The deep-end. True story.
How could a pre-teen possibly drive a lawn mower into a giant box of water? I’m gonna blame the lack of power steering. Seriously, that mower was really hard to steer! Ok, ok… I was an idiot, too. So, sure… I’ll accept 25% of the blame. 🙂
Some 35 years later, riding lawn mowers aren’t THAT much different. But the Craftsman Pro Series includes automotive-style power steering and an industry-first on non-zero turn riding mowers: a 5″ turning radius. (The Pro Series line does offer a zero turn model, too).
Sure, other brands have power steering and we may cover those one day, too. But I’ll admit that I have a biased affinity for the Craftsman brand—I grew up with it, my grandfathers and uncles ran a Texaco station for decades and used Craftsman tools, and the old lifetime warranty still stands today if I were to bring in a broken tool from the 1970s. That’s pretty cool.
With a price-point between $2k-$5k, depending on the model you choose, the new Craftsman Pro Series mowers are comparable to others on the market in the same class.
Powered by a Kohler® 7000 Pro Series V-Twin engine with Dual Hydro-Gear™ transmission (specs may vary than what you find on those links), there’s a Pro Series model built for both the weekend warrior or the professional. Depending on your needs—lawn size, gate width, etc.—available deck sizes range from 42″-60″ and are easy to remove for maintenance (or racing around the yard, like I did in the 70s).
If you are still interested in other brands you can see other very good options below:
- 26 HP Kohler engine provides reliable startups and a max speed of 6.5 MPH
- A patent-pending park brake system automatically activates or deactivates as the steering...
- Air induction mowing technology draws air from the top and bottom of the deck, improving...
- Reinforced steel stamped cutting deck is made of heavy flat-stock steel for maximum...
- Clippings can be discharged, mulched or bagged (mulching kit and bagger attachment sold...
- Powered by a reliable 19 HP/540cc Briggs & Stratton Intek engine and a Foot-Pedal...
- Featuring power and operator comfort, this automatic mower is ideal for mowing large areas
- Soft touch steering and a mid-back seat for ultimate comfort
- Equipped with a large 46-inch side discharge mowing deck and Mow-In-Reverse capabilities
- Backed by a 2-year limited warranty
- Reinforced cutting deck delivers superior durability, season after season
- Pedal-operated hydrostatic transmission improves performance and control
- Air induction mowing technology lifts grass for a precise cut
- Ergonomic steering wheel ensures consistent handling
- Optional add-on attachments provide versatility